Natural Talalay Toppers
Natural latex foam creates an unparalleled sleeping experience but at a premium price. Scientists have attempted to match the quality of natural foam with synthetic products, but none quite match the mix of loft, support, and softness of real botanical latex.
Natural Talalay Latex
Talalay latex is produced by whipping air into liquid botanical latex and then injecting it into molds. Based on the desired firmness, more or less latex is added to the mold. The Latex is then drawn up to a thickness of six inches using suction, so that spaces between the latex are further filled with air. The latex is then vulcanized, or "cooked" to a solid state, containing air pockets that make the end product particularly cushy. Talalay production actually produces an open cell structure, so that air flow circulates through the finished mattress for superior temperature control.
Talalay Latex Foam
Talalay latex, made using cutting-edge manufacturing techniques that blend air and latex using flash-freezing and suction, is a particularly rich and luxurious latex foam. It's also expensive more so than Dunlop-produced latex, which is an older and less-involved process that can usually be produced on-site rather than in a biotech lab, saving on cost.
Due to the size of the molds and the prohibitive cost of producing larger ones, all Talalay latex foam mattresses or toppers will have at least one seam. Some mattresses are made of multiple layers; if so, standard six inch layers may be cut lengthwise to create Talalay layers that are two or four inches thick.
Natural Talalay latex is available in a range of firmnesses, from super-soft Talalay that the body actually sinks into, to firmer versions that help support and align the spine while still relieving pressure-points. This mix of aerated luxury and versatility makes Talalay highly sought after, though without any added material it can often make for a rather unsupportive mattress.
Natural Talalay Latex Toppers
For those who can't afford an all-natural latex mattress, a topper is a good way to obtain the comfort and support of latex at more affordable prices. Talalay latex toppers have the springy support of natural latex combined with a truly luxurious softness.
Pros of Natural Talalay Latex Toppers
- Affordable pricing: Compared to the cost of an entire latex mattress, even an all-natural Talalay topper is far more affordable.
- Customizable Support: Talalay is available in a variety of firmnesses and thicknesses, so you can find the right sleep surface for you without breaking the bank.
- The feel of luxury bedding: A natural Talalay sleep surface gives you the body-contouring, spine-aligning comfort of latex. Give any bed a luxury makeover with a topper of natural Talalay latex.
Cons of Natural Talalay Latex Toppers
- Lack of stability: Talalay latex, though it can be manufactured to be "firm," still holds more air than Dunlop. That can make it more likely to compress under the weight of your body. Unless you choose a sufficiently thick topper, you're likely to "bottom out," so that you're essentially lying on the material of your mattress. This cancels out the pressure-relieving support of latex bedding.
- Lack of endurance: That airy feel and "give" can lead to a shorter lifespan, especially if the mattress beneath your topper sags, stressing the cellular structure of the latex. Don't expect your topper to last as long as a natural latex bed made of
Talalay Latex Toppers vs. Dunlop Latex ToppersTalalay latex and Dunlop have significant overlap in firmness but Dunlop can be manufactured to be firmer than Talalay's firmest, and Talalay can be manufactured to be softer than Dunlop's softest. If your bedding preferences fall at either end of the spectrum, you'll want to choose Dunlop for a super-firm topper and Talalay for a super-soft topper.
Dunlop latex toppers can be obtained in any size without a seam, while Talalay toppers larger than twin size will have at least one seam and perhaps two (as in a king-sized topper). Dunlop may last longer, but won't have as airy a feel as Talalay. If you're a back or a stomach sleeper, Dunlop may give you the support you need for proper alignment.
All in all, your sleep style and your preferences come first it's your bed. Choosing a portable, returnable topper lets you turn any bed into a luxury night's sleep that you can customize to your liking.