Buying a latex mattress is a big investment, but it can make a real difference for your health – how you sleep at night and how you feel during the day.
But first, here are a few reasons NOT to buy a latex mattress:
• “Keeping up with the Joneses”: A latex mattress is becoming a luxury status item. But your bed needs to accommodate your body and your needs – not just your friends’ envy factor. Do your research, try as many latex mattresses as possible, and decide on a bed that’s right for you.
• Advertising frenzy: On the internet and in print, latex mattress advertising is popping up everywhere. But buyer beware! A lot of the major mattress advertisers are selling inferior products that are either poorly produced, made with hybrid latex, or incorrectly represented in the advertising. Take the time to do your research so you know exactly what you’re buying.
Now, here are five reasons why you SHOULD buy a latex bed:
• Latex is extracted from rubber trees without harming the plant. It’s a renewable resource that’s eco-friendly for 21st-century consumers’ standards.
• Latex is adaptable. Latex foams can be firm and supportive, or soft and cushy – or anywhere in between. Latex mattresses can be constructed in layers so that you get the perfect mix of softness and support for your personal preferences.
• Latex is breathable – cooler for people who don’t like the “heat sink” that can be produced by memory foam. The open cellular structure of latex allows air to move freely, keeping you cool in hot temperatures and warm in cooler temperatures.
• Latex doesn’t respond to temperature. Memory foam can actually get softer when exposed to heat and firmer when cool – so just the heat generated by your body overnight can actually change the characteristics of your mattress. Latex doesn’t change with body heat, so you know you’ll get the same comfortable support all night long.
• Latex is hypoallergenic and antimicrobial – the rubberized foam provides a poor surface for allowing mites, mold, and even pet dander to cling. The open cell structure that helps the mattress sleep cool also keeps the mattress interior dry, minimizing the chance of mildew formation. Even those with latex allergies can usually sleep on a latex mattress!
The right latex bed on the right foundation can give you the best night’s sleep you’ve ever had. When you take your time and buy your bed for the right reasons, you’ll be sure to find the latex mattress that’s right for you.
Do you have a latex mattress? Would you buy one?